Wednesday, September 2, 2009

My Olympic Credential Photo

This mug is gonna have the golden ticket to the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games. I just filled out my accreditation with the U.S. Olympic Committee. I will be volunteering with Media Relations at the Olympics in February. I will most likely be stationed in Whistler, the ski resort outside of Vancouver where half of the sports will take place. It's the opportunity of the lifetime.

After two long weekends with friends and the girlfriend, I took it relatively easy this weekend. Friday night Vanessa, Katie and I introduced some of the new interns to the Finish Line for cheap beer and karaoke. Saturday I walked around the Air Force Academy. It was a rainy day and hardly anyone else was around. The campus is amazing and very unique. It's tucked away, literally at the foot of the Rocky Mountains, and all the buildings look like they were built in the same year in the 1950s. The main attraction was the Chapel, which is a large metallic structure with a recognizable, spired roof. The coolest thing was that it was split up into four places of worship: Protestant, Catholic, Jewish and Buddhist. Each was a different size with its own design. The Protestant Church was the biggest while the Buddhist room was tiny.

Sunday I volunteered with doping control at a USA Weightlifting event. After that I covered the event in place of the weightlifting PR person. I had never been to a weightlifting competition so it was very interesting. I got to interview 2008 Olympian Kendrick Farris, which was cool.

This weekend marks the beginning of the Texas Longhorn football season. The game is on pay-per-view and I plan on going to the Tour de Fat with my cousin in Fort Collins. It will pain me to miss the game, and the next one versus Wyoming in Laramie. Next week I will be working at the Olympic Team Media Summit in Chicago and probably unable to catch the game. It will be a great experience but still bittersweet.

Click here to see photos of the Air Force Academy, the weightlifting event and more.

Click here to see the press release I wrote for the weightlifting event.

Days until the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games: 162

No comments:

Post a Comment