Monday, August 15, 2016

In a Connecticut State of Mind


Best thing about Stamford? It's close to New York. I've made three trips into the Big Apple so far to see friends and family.

It's a super easy 40-60 minute train ride to Grand Central Station. That said, I got on the wrong train the first time.

Manhattan is a wild place with people moving in every direction like ants. I wish I had more time to explore but I've enjoyed being amongst the craziness.

Best part about it is the people I make the trip for. They give me a welcome break from the Olympic bubble I've been living in.

Some of the interesting storylines in the sports I've been assigned:
  • Fencer Ibtihaj Muhammad became the first American Olympian to compete while wearing a hijab, then won bronze in the team sabre event. 
  • American judo athlete Kayla Harrison overcame sexual abuse from a former coach to win her 2nd Olympic gold medal in Rio. 
  • Three-time Olympic kayaker Kazuki Yazawa of Japan is also a Buddhist priest.
  • Belgian taekwondo athlete Moored Laachraoui is the brother of Najim Laachraoui, one of the suicide bombers who killed 17 at a Brussels airport. 
  • Two Muslim judo athletes have caused a stir with their actions (or inactions) towards Israeli athletes. One allegedly pulled out due to "injury" rather than face an Israeli opponent while another competed and lost to an Israeli and then refused to shake hands afterwards - a major breach of protocol in judo.

No comments:

Post a Comment