Monday, October 5, 2009

Rocky Mountain High

This is probably the longest I've gone without posting. Let me catch up. Last weekend was marked by two major events: the Air Force football game and the Pike's Peak Cog Railway. Both of which were great. I had been dying to experience some live college football, tailgate and to see what Air Force football was all about. The AFA Falcons won and I was able to play bags, also known as "cornhole," with a beer and my intern buddies.

Their are three ways to get to the summit of Pike's Peak: hike, drive, cog railway. No way could I have survived the 13-mile ascent on my own two feet. Driving is supposedly pretty scary, so I would have had to keep my eyes on the road rather than the amazing scenery. The cog railway seemed like the natural choice. Me and four other interns went on what might have been the last warm weekend. Still there was snow at the top. The views were breathtaking and the photo-ops were plentiful.

Since last weekend, Chicago went from contender to pretender in the race for the 2016 Olympic Games. Instead, the Games will be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, which should be a big party. No one can fault the Windy City for losing out to the first South American city to host the Olympics. It was a surprise to receive the least amount of votes, behind Rio, Madrid and Tokyo. The bidding process is highly political and the U.S. might want to take a break from the game after coming in last two times in a row (NYC bid unsuccessfully for the 2012 Games, which went to London).

Click here and here for two photo albums, one for Pike's Peak and the other for everything else.

Click here to see my blog posting on the USOC Intern blog.

Click here for Teresa's interview with George Foreman in the Beaumont Enterprise.

Days until the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games: 130

No comments:

Post a Comment