Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Patscherkofel, Khutai and Seefeld

Those are names of the three mountain venues for winter sports around Innsbruck. After six straight days working assignments at these venues, Wednesday will bring a welcome change of pace. I will get to stay inside Innsbruck city limits. Somehow, I've been dubbed the mountain man of the Young Reporters. I've covered primarily the outdoor sports: ski/snowboard halfpipe, luge, alpine skiing, and ski jumping. Two days ago was probably the coldest I've ever been in my life. The weather in the mountains was -10 celcius, or 14 degrees Fahrenheit, not counting wind chill. Not fun conditions for standing around outside all day.

I've been able to catch bits of hockey, curling and for the first time Tuesday - figure skating. With only five days left of competition, I hope to catch the remaining winter sports I haven't seen live: speed skating, biathlon, bobsled and skeleton.

I've interviewed lots of people and written some cool stories, but THIS one might be my favorite of the trip.

Click HERE for more photos of my Austrian adventure.

German translation of the day: auf wiedersehen = goodbye

No comments:

Post a Comment