Saturday, January 7, 2012

Austria Bound

On Monday, I leave for Innsbruck, Austria, site of the inaugural Winter Youth Olympic Games. I attended the first Summer Youth Olympics in Singapore in August 2010 as part of the International Olympic Committee's Young Reporters program. Well, I've been invited back and I couldn't be more excited. I'll try to post and Tweet as often as possible.

Here's what I think I know about Innsbruck, Austria and the 2012 Youth Olympics:
  • The main language of Austria is German.
  • Arnold Schwarzenegger lived in Austria until he was 21.
  • Austrian beer and schnitzel is supposed to be as good as any in Germany.
  • Innsbruck is a world-class ski town of 150,000.
  • Innsbruck is much closer to Munich, Germany than Vienna, Austria.
  • The forecast calls for light snow and highs in the mid-30s.
  • Innsbruck has hosted two Winter Olympics in 1964 and 1976.
  • Three sports will make their Olympic debut - snowboard slopestyle, ski halfpipe, women's ski jumping.
  • Team USA features a pair of twin curling athletes, a brother-sister ice dancing duo and two athletes with Olympian fathers.

No comments:

Post a Comment