Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Coors Field and the Velodrome

Since my last post, I visited Coors Field to see the Rockies play the Atlanta Braves. It was the last game before the All-Star Break and the Rockies won in the bottom of the ninth. The stadium is beautiful and the view was great, even from the Rock Pile (aka cheap seats). The tickets were four bucks and the beer was $6.50.

After work today, I made the trip to nearby Memorial Park. The inner-city park featured a big lake and a velodrome. A velodrome is an arena for track cycling, which is an Olympic sport. I had never seen such a stadium in person.

My good friend Anthony has booked his ticket to come see me in Colorado, along with two of his buddies. His mid-August trip is centered around a whitewater rafting excursion we have yet to organize.

In my internship, I'm beginning to work on Olympic Beat magazine, as well as prepare for the Olympic Media Summit leading up to the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games. If all goes according to plan, I will travel with the USOC media relations team to Chicago for the Summit in September.

Click here for photos of Community Day at the Olympic Training Center, Coors Field and Memorial Park.

Today's weather in Colorado Springs: High 91, Low 57, partly cloudy

3 comments:

  1. I like how the ticket was cheaper than the beer. How many athletes are in town? And what all do they have you doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. there are lots of athletes coming and going. some live here for a few weeks at a time, some for three to six years. i would guess that there are probably one hundred athletes living on campus right now. plus 30 interns.

    i'm writing press releases, creating content for Olympic Beat magazine and other intern-ish and media relations-related work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I'm a month late here, but we actually have a velodrome walking (or perhaps biking?) distance from our house...

    ReplyDelete