Monday, July 20, 2009

One Very Granola Town

I had never been to Fort Collins, CO before. All I knew about it was that it was the home of Colorado State University and that it had a few microbreweries there. What I didn't know is that it is a very laidback, bike-friendly town. Colorado loves local beer and Ft. Collins is the beer capital of the state. Every bar offered all dozens of community beers. It seems like everyone is outdoorsy and happy.

During my 22 hours in the town, my cousin Emily and I went out to the bars, drove out to Horsetooth Reservoir and played with her dog, Indie. We were going to goto the New Belgium Brewery, famous for Fat Tire and Skinny Dip, but they were closed. I plan on returning to Ft. Collins over Labor Day weekend for the Tour de Fat, a bike-riding, costume party put on by the brewery.

Before Ft. Collins, the USOC paid to take us to a Colorado Springs Sky Sox minor league baseball game. It was $2 beer night (until 7:30) as well as Jimmy Buffett night (he was not in attendance). Then on Saturday morning, I volunteered at the International Blind Sports Federation's World Youth and Student Championships, aka the Blind Junior Olympics. I was a timer for the swim meet and I sat next to a father whose son was competing. His 16-year-old son, Darren, lost his sight suddenly a year ago. Needless to say it was all very inspiring.

Click here for photos of Fort Collins and the Sky Sox game.

Days until the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games: 206

No comments:

Post a Comment