Saturday, July 11, 2009

Working Man

My first ever 40-hour work week is in the books. I have worked hard and learn a lot about public relations. My bosses have gone out of their way to show me the ropes and they have trusted me with some serious assignments. In my first week, I have written press releases for the Junior Olympic Skills competition and biographies for the 2009 class of inductees into the US Olympic Hall of Fame. In my first three days, I interviewed three Olympians, including skier Picabo Street and basketball player Teresa Edwards. Vanessa, the other media relations intern, has more experience in the field and has helped me along.

Four years removed from my last dormitory experience, I was afraid to go back. But thanks to Isaac, my friendly (and clean) roommate, it hasn't been so bad. I also eat just about every meal at the Olympic Training Center dining hall, along with every other intern and resident athlete. The food is surprisingly good, varied and healthy. The nearest bar is about a five-minute walk away. The Finish Line is a great dive bar with lots of interesting regulars. The other interns and I have already broken in the ancient karaoke machine.

This weekend I volunteered to help out at the Training Center's Community Day. Without asking me if I had any real experience as a photographer, they handed me a fancy camera and told me to cover it all. This included taking photos of the unveiling of a Michael Phelps statue, which was a gift from the Chinese Olympic Committee. The community day involved demos of lots of Olympic sports like judo, fencing, table tennis and shooting, all of which were pretty interesting.

Click here for more photos of the Olympic Training Center.

Days until the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games: 215

No comments:

Post a Comment