Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Poutine: Canadian Junk Food

Today started at 9am and ended at 10pm. After a day like that, I deserved to eat something grossly delicious. Poutine is a Canadian delicacy: fries, cheese curds and gravy. I imagine something this fattening and gluttonous is best eaten after a few beers or the morning after a late night. For me, it didn't live up to my high expectations. There are many ways to eat Poutine. I got the "classic" version. Maybe I'll have to try a different version before writing off one of the pillars of Canadian cuisine.

Including poutine, today was a day of many firsts. I sat in on my first Olympic press conference, this one for the 2010 U.S. Luge Team. Before that, I interacted with my first Olympian since landing in Canada, this one alpine skier Erik Fisher. The highlight of my day might have been trading my first pin. Trading pins is a major Olympic tradition. I traded with a manager at the McDonalds, who was a serious trader and wasn't just giving his away. The trade: one of my USOC pins for one of his McDonalds pins with a Vancouver 2010 mascot on it.

Canadian observation of the day: Canadians have there own sports (hockey and curling) but they also follow many American (football and basketball) and British (soccer) sports

Whistler weather (Celsius): High 3, Low 0, rain

1 comment:

  1. Nick!!! They are called disco fries!!! I get them everytime I go to a diner!!!! They are awesome!! Christina

    ReplyDelete